Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentine's Day

February 14th is Saint Valentine's Day. It is around the corner. Normally, men presents chocolate with a card to women on Valentin's Day. But women prepares present for their partner too. So, both men and women exchange presents on that day.
 However, in Japan, we have a different custom. It has been common for only women to present Valentin's chocolate to men they like.
 In 1936, Morozoff Ltd. introduced the holiday for the first time. It began promoting the giving of heart-shaped chocolates. Other japanese confectionery companies followed it. Therefore, at this time of year, department stores and confectionery shops are filled with various kinds of chocolate and crowded with women.
 It is seen that two types of chocolates are more popular for Valentine's Day. One types of chocolate called giri-choco. "Giri-choco" means obligation chocolate for friends, bosses, coworkers and close male friends. and the other type of chocolate called honmei-choco. "Honmei-choco" means special chocolate for boyfriend, lovers or husbands.
 But recently, Valentine's Day has actually started to change in Japan. Nowadays, many women have also started to buy chocolate for female friends and themselves. So, japanese women spend a lot of money for chocolate.


4 comments:

  1. so, in your custom. I can receive chocolate from you at Valentine's Day, can't I? ~^^~ I'm looking forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like this event. Because I have to present something to people who give chocolate to me in Valentine's day. Many Japanese men are suffering this.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks your chocolate. It's very similar with ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your chocolate~, I'm sorry, I didn't prepare~T.T but I like you ! I knew about valentine's day, because of your post

    ReplyDelete