Monday, March 21, 2011

Different ways of using language

 I have had times when I had difficulty understanding men. Most men don't say anything when they have a problem but women want to talk about their problems so, I can't understand what the man's problem is about. And I'm somtimes annoyed when the man say something bossily.
 However, I believe men and women use language differently. In Japan, we have a lot of different ways of using language. One of the most typical example is to add "chan" and "kun" at the end of a name when we are children. Girls use "chan" and boys use "kun" but using "chan" and "kun" is a little childish. Instead we use "san" as a member of society. Using "san" is formal and useful. There are situations, such as between close friends where using "chan" and "kun" even in adulthood is normal.
 An other example, the subject in English is "I", "You", "They", "He" and "She" but we have a lot of words for subject. Women often use "Watashi". Men often use "Boku" or "Ore". Those words mean "I" in English. Using "Boku" is formal. In business, everybody uses "Watashi" even men. But if women use "Boku" or "Ore", it is strange and unfeminine.
 I think it is interesting that women appear more feminine and men appear more masculine. In doing so, men and women become attracted to each other.

3 comments:

  1. I like your information specially chan" and "kun"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika "chan"
    I agree! I hate men who always speak bossily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is REALLY interesting and GREAT writing!

    Mark: 2.

    ReplyDelete