Monday, March 28, 2011

The Environment and I

 Of course, the earthquak is the worst problem in Japan now. On Friday March 11, 2011, a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and the 10 meter high tsunami hit Japan, as I've already introduced. The earthquake's epicenter was off the coast of Ibaraki Prefecture. It caused strain on the Pacific Plate strain as it moved into Japan. As a result, it is said that Japan moved 5.3 kilometers east-southeast and 1.2 kilometers in a downward direction. Relative to the earthquake, the tsunami caused much heavier damage. What's more, Fukushima 1 nuclear plant exploded and there were several fires throughout the Tohoku area. Therefore, a large-scale power outage hit several prefectures. The Tokyo area and the affected area are having sporadic blackouts. For this reason, planned outages have been conducted.
 I thought about what I could do and I participated in the fund- raising campaign here. The earthquake have various impacts globally but we can't predict when earthquakes will happen. I think that recovery is going to be a long process. I want to proactively do what I can.

1 comment:

  1. Good work, Erika. I like this idea about environment.

    Mark: 2.

    ReplyDelete