Sunday, March 13, 2011

Earthquake

 On Friday March 11, 2011, an 8.9 magnitude earthquake and the 10 meter high tsunami hit Japan. First I knew the news about the earthquake from my friends. Till then I didn't know that. When I arrived at the school in the morning, everybody asked me "were you ok?" "were your family ok?" like this. I wondered why everyone asked seriously. I comfirmed which part of japan the earthquake had. It was the north-east of Japan so, I said "it was ok" because Japan have had a lot of earthquakes and my hometown is in the west area of Japan. I thought that this happends all the time.
 However, it was really terrible. After school, I came back home soon. Then I checked about the earthquake. I was very surprised when I watched videos on the internet. I discovered the overwhelming destruction. They suffered catastrophic damage. I sent my parents e-mail immediately. After a few minutes, my mother called me. She was ok but we didn't know that my father was ok. My father is a captain and he usually works around north-east area. I was really worried about him. After a few hours, fainally, I could contact with him. He said that he was sailing southward from Hokkaido to Sendai when the earthquake happened. If the earthquake happened late, he would have died. I felt relief at the news.
 However, the extent of damage has not to be determined yet. Recovery is going to be a long process. I hope that they achieve full recovery as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment